POTTERY GLAZING CLASS
Ceramic glaze, by its nature, is a vitreous substance, a glass fused on to the surface of pottery to form a hard, impervious coating, which helps to seal the aesthetic of pottery and serve to color, decorate or waterproof an item.
Creating glaze is not just blending and mixing some basic colors such as blue, red, yellow, white, or black. The understanding of chemical reactions happening during glazing processes is more important; especially, when the clay piece is heated to temperatures from 900 to 1200 degrees.
After learning all the rules of action of substances which affect the color of pottery in many different ways, students can begin to make their own unique glazes.
Glazes are sometimes the most exciting part of ceramics. This is partly because the transformation of the piece when it is fired can be quite pronounced. Sometimes the color of the glaze after mixing is pink, but through firing at 1200 degrees, it comes to blue. This is why it is often described as “the magic” in ceramics.
Today, De-form decided to bring what we have learned and studied to share with our pottery lovers about this enchanting art.
What to Expect
- Instruction from glazing experts of De-form.
- Get the details on practicing a wide variety of ceramic glazing techniques from basic to
advance. Discover the amazing colorful ceramic glazing world and experiencing how to
custom your own unique glazes
- Lesson 1: Understand ceramic glaze composition, how to mix glaze and original glaze
- Lesson 2: Choosing the right color for glaze to suit with the color under of glaze
- Lesson 3: Coloring Glaze with Industrial Pigments
- Lesson 4: Coloring Glaze with Metallic Oxides
- Lesson 5: Blurring Glaze
- Lesson 6: Zinc Crystals Glaze
- Lesson 7: Titanium Crystal Glaze
- Lesson 8: Crackle Glaze
- Lesson 9: Ash Glaze
Students must to study all the lessons 1,2,3,4 before you can register any class from lesson 5 to 9.
Ready to take a class?
- Registration fee: 500,000 VND / 1 days
- Registration fees includes : Materials for mixing glazes in 1 class, Study documents, Clay for glazing testing, Instructor during 2 hours per day, Firing for 1 times in small kiln (11 cm x 11 cm x 15 cm) (with Self- timing).
*** Note: Please reserve a place for the preparation of instructors and materials.
What to bring : Remember to wear some clothes you don’t mind getting dirty, clip your fingernails for the best experience, bring your creative spirit and get ready to play-in- clay.